Attending: Michael Sanders, Yolande Knight, Neil Witt.
Apologies: Brian Chalkley, Sharon Gedye
1. Mike provided updates on the following:
Having initially been given advice at OER start up meeting not to use the JISC Consortium Agreement template, Mike wrote a ‘plain english’ version based on other successful consortium bids at Plymouth. A couple of the partners’ legal contacts had issues with the draft that needed ironing out. Following consultation with other Subject Strand projects (C-SAP and Bioscience), Mike decided to go back towards the JISC template, as others have done. That second draft has gone out for consultation with partners.
There may be an issue with all partners being physically present to sign the consortium agreement by the necessary deadline (due to the time of year). Mike has contacted Programme Management to ask what consequences there may be if this occurs.
Use of the Blog and Sharepoint
Mike is hoping to encourage all partners to use the blog to keep a record of their project’s life cycle: successes, challenges etc.. Users are encouraged to be upfront with issues, as this blog acts as part of monitoring and evaluation of the project.
Mike has also agreed to investigate the use of Sharepoint on behalf of the SC strand (along with other projects). Several members of the project team have not had good experiences with Sharepoint, but are willing to give it another go.
Neil has just set up another repository for an external organisation and therefore is keen to develop a similar repository for C-change, separate to UPlaCe. Although Neil is taking all project responsibilities with him to his new post (E-Learning Director), he still wants to work with C-change in sharing a learning technologist (0.6 FTE C-change, 0.4 FTE other). Yolie to liaise with HELP CETL Manager to sort this out. This post would work in collaboration with HELP CETL LT, Neil and Mike on the development of repository support material for academics, and suggested workflows. These would be some of the projects outputs, linked to reuse and further contribution to OER after the end of the project. It also fits in neatly with the CETL’s ideas for sustained repositories, which allows shared working and added value.
Steering Group Meeting
The first C-Change Steering Group Meeting has occurred, with attendees from 3 of the project partners.
This is set to occur sometime in September, but Mike needs to encourage partners to give dates available for attendance. Venue to be in London.
Due to changes in Neil’s position, Anne McDermott will now not work as evaluator. Yolande is currently taking over this role, liaising with Helen Beetham as the Subject Strand consultant. Mike will ensure that previous discussions and feedback from community (from Christmas onwards) is ‘retrospectively blogged’.
Mike will be talking to all professional bodies about possible future roles in the project.
As part of original project bid, we know that all materials being provided has already been validated as part of an accredited programme. Will there be issues with ‘comparative qualities’? It is likely that this will only occur in terms of ‘technical’ quality: are there three types of quality to be considered, namely content/knowledge, pedagogic context, and technical format? Neil suggested that the main quality measure to be concerned about is ‘can it be re-used easily’? There is a possibility that if a resource is too ‘technical’, that this might affect ease of re-use. It might therefore be better to produce resources at a lower technical spec to allow more accessible re-use.
How do we/ can we quality assure re-use of materials? One way might be to ensure this is covered by attributable licensing- terms of license could be that if you use something, let us know what you do with it, and let us have it back- i.e. feed it back in to the system. That way we can track how things are used/developed. If this occurred, there would be a QA issue however, as altered materials would not have been through accreditation.
Common sense needed here: keep low key and subtle, and again, relate directly to licensing. Need to ensure have a handle URI for each resource.
Community of Practice
Following first Steering Meeting, the Communities of Practice have been combined to one, with two strands (pedagogic and OER). Neil will set up an ELG from the C-change webpage to allow easy communication for groups.